Sunday, January 15, 2012

New Year, New Perspective

2011 was a year full of growth for me. A lot of painful stretching, but good growth nonetheless. I decided that I was going to break away from the fear that's been holding me back.The thought of living life was exhilarating, terrifying, and overwhelming...all of these emotions flooding at me. But the biggest emotion? Relief.

I realized that underlying many of my fears was the fear of failure. I'm a perfectionist. Growing up, failure to my parents, and subsequently to me, wasn't an option. This perspective also had me worry extensively that OTHER people were judging me, whether I failed or succeeded. Now, that's not to say that there weren't those wishing I fail miserably or laughing without mirth at my failures, but overall I don't think that's generally what was going on....just in my head.

So, with the new year I decided I'm not making New Year's resolutions...instead, I'm making daily resolutions. That relieves some of the pressure to be perfect and get it all done by the end of the year. It also lessens the let-down or disappointment in myself if I don't achieve all that I wanted to achieve.

I know that every day begins with baby steps. However, each day brings with it pride that I'm moving forward.

More to come....live fearlessly, regardless of what age you are!

~Fearless@40





No comments:

Post a Comment